4.19.2008

Size isn't everything

After a recent trip to our local sporting goods store to purchase a new swimsuit (my old swimsuit was starting to show MY true colors), I discovered that I was considered to be an extra large woman.

Let me preface this with the fact that I wear size 10 pants and a medium in tops. When I pulled several swimsuits by Nike, TYR, and Speedo off the rack to try on, I pulled only those that had a size of 10 or 12 (as most women know, sizes can vary from one maker to another).

Much to my surprise, neither size fit. In fact, I wasn't even able to pull the swimsuit over my thighs. Talk about DISGUST. Disgust because I actually have lost 5 pounds since I've started training so that makes me thinner, right? Disgust because I wear a size 10 pant so there's no way in hell that I'd need to wear a larger size swimsuit. Disgust because I thought such reputable labels would have true sizes.

So, I put back the 6 swimsuits that I just tried to try on. I look for the next size up, a 14 (GASP).

Apparently size 14 is the LARGEST size that is made by at least TYR (i didn't research Nike or Speedo) and the largest size this sporting goods store carried of the Nike and Speedo suits. I was in disbelief to say the least. I couldn't believe that if i was 10 pounds heavier, that I'd basically not have a swimsuit (or at least would have to specially order it or something...what do other athena women do in this case?)

I just looked up the suit on TYR's website. Size 14 is the largest they make a swimsuit for and it's considered an XL. (Size 9/10 is considered Medium and Size 11/12 is considered Large)

So I did end up with a nice fitting XL TYR reversible swimsuit (it's black on one side which makes me look thinner : )), despite being disgusted with the way the suits "ran really small" as far as size goes. That's a term that women hear a lot when buying clothing. It's really quite frustrating to try clothes on with the same size # only to find out that some of the sizes run small...I actually don't think I've ever run into the reverse problem, where the sizing runs large...what a great day of shopping that would be! To buy a size 8 that fit me perfectly.

Until then, I'll continue to believe that size doesn't matter whether I'm buying new clothes or doing my next triathlon. At least I'm tri-ing it!

No comments: