5.06.2008

Moab - Yeehaw!

What more can I say? Moab was awesome. Slickrock is awesome. Sovereign is awesome. Arches National Park was awesome. I haven't been so impressed since sightseeing in Europe---I would equate Arches' dramatic landscape to some of Italy's ancient structures like St Peter's Basilica, Pompeii Ruins, etc.


And now back to the grind. I love going on vacation. It's exciting. I love to splurge on desserts and yummy fattening food.


But I also love coming home. Unpacking everything so I can find it quickly when I need it for training. I love getting back to eating healthier. I love getting back into my training routine. I feel most comfortable when I'm in a routine. Sounds boring but I accomplish a lot when I have a routine. And I enjoy life more.


So up until now I haven't really mentioned my training plan. I just realized I started my 7th week of training and I still LOVE IT!


There are some great triathlon websites for beginners and seasoned triathletes. Although I'm not new to triathlons (have done at least 10 sprints and 3 olympic distance tris) I really liked the training plans and other information on http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/.

I found a great 1/2 ironman distance training plan written by Scott Herrick of Alpine Multisport LLC. This training plan is about a month longer than the ones I'd seen on other sites. This means I'll be better prepared for the big event.

Plus everything's based on time, except for the swim. That helps a lot with time management during the week.

Some things that I learned in the last 2 months about training for a 1/2 ironman are:

1) You have to plan ahead. Every Sunday evening, I jot down the next week's training schedule in my planner. I look at my planner every morning or evening to see what I need to pack up for the next day's training: workout clothes, snacks/hydration/powerfoods, including what we're having for dinner. If I have a long workout the next day, I'll defrost some tilapia (yes Jim--Tilapia again!) in the fridge that morning so that when I get home from training, we can make a quick healthy yummy dinner. Tilapia, broccoli and pasta or corn are always quick and easy.

2) Planning and preparation gets easier after 2 months of doing it. I have to admit that even I, the persistent and constant planner, got frazzled with having to prep and plan for training. In the first month of training, it seemed like it took me hours to get my stuff together the night before. But now, I'm done prepping my clothes and food within an hour. Organization is the key. I have all of my bike shorts and jerseys in one place. I have all of my running shorts and sports bras in a separate place next to my cycling clothes. I have my bike gear near the bike. You get the point.

3) When the training plan says to take the day off or to do an easy workout, just DO IT. Trust me. When it says easy run, just do an easy run. It takes determination and willpower to run at a pace that makes you feel like you're practically crawling. These workouts are important because they help you build a good base. They give your body time to recoop from previous workouts. You can't push your body constantly...you'll probably end up with injuries if you do. I've noticed that my body really needed to do an easy run when it was prescribed in the training plan because my body was tired from the previous day's more strenuous workout. Enjoy the slow pace workouts!

4) Growing pains don't stop when you're a kid. Since triathlon training incorporates your legs primarily, my legs have been aching every other week roughly. The 1st week of training, my legs ached getting used to the time on my feet. Then the schedule included sprints around the 4th or 5th week of training...and my legs ached since they aren't use to running faster. Then around the 5th week, the schedule had me doing some brick workouts (swim 1 hour then run for 1/2 hour immediately after, or run for an hour then bike for a 1/2 hour as recovery)...and of course my legs ached. But the good thing is that you have to endure growing pains in order to become stronger. Now in my 7th week, I definitely feel stronger.

So going forward, since this is a blog about triathlons and training, I'm going to post the workouts on the blog in a separate spot so you can get an idea of where I'm at.

Until then, RIDE ON! (and don't forget Bike to Work day on June 25th!)

No comments: